Friday, February 03, 2006

nostalgia

Farewells are always tearful.But there are always exceptions to the rule. I had presumedthat bidding adieu to college would not be so hard. After three years of not belonging,I did not believe that there would be a day that I would regret leaving it.

But the day came.

I was more excited, than anything else, about the college farewell. It was supposed to be a day of partying, and saying the final goodbye before the exams took over our lives. The date had been set: Saturday, the 28th of January.

As I got ready that morning, a small thought entered my mind: this was going to be my last day as a student of the college. After that day, I would become part of the college alumni. Im not sure if that was a sad thought or a happy one but it was there...and it stayed.

As I met up with my friends and sat in the auditorium for the performances, I felt like time had flown since last year, when we were the ones saying goodbye to our seniors. The performances started, and sadness crept in when they sung 'Leaving on a jet plane'. I couldnt help but feel nostalgic about the good times and memories that the college had given me.

As the party ended and people began to leave, it suddenly hit me: I was finally leaving the college, and I was going to graduate in a few days. It was a strange feeling, quite indescribable.

Later in the day, I messaged all my friends, and it truly describes what I felt. Here's what I wrote :"Sometimes life gives us these shocks in order to wake us up. Today, I felt like I turned my back and the 3 years of my graduation just slipped by. However fast it may have been, I'm glad it left me holding your hand...as a friend...forever.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

farewells are always nostalgic cos they signal the end of an era....the point of not belonging to something or someone is actually when we tried our best not to belong to it....think about it....i remember all my farewells and how life was never the same after each one....its never the same...." I'm glad it left me holding your hand...as a friend...forever"....if its true your totally my types

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home