Tuesday, May 23, 2006

A lesson

Books are undeniably the best friends one can have. Not only do they provide companionship, they teach you more than any one person can, and in the best way possible.

For some time, I have been in doubt about the kind of person I was becoming. Leaving school and my home town was not easy, and it made me change in many ways, some that I did not like. My attitude to life and people was changing. But, I believe reading has saved me.

With some free time on my hands, I began to read 'The 5 people you meet in heaven' and 'Tuesdays with Morrie', both by Mitch Albom. These books made me realise that life wasnt the way I was looking at it then. It is meant to be seen as an experience that must be enjoyed. I had forgotten my outlook on life as the ice-cream to be eaten before it melts. Life isnt supposed to be a serious, sombre affair, so why treat it like one? Things happen, people change, but life still offers us much more than we can take from it. So why not take as much and make the most of the time that one has been given.

The people in our lives must be appreciated, not because it is the thing to do, but because they need it, much as do I. And doing so makes life worth living. People who you care for, and who care for you, are what God gives us, to compromise for all the negatives in life.

It was a lesson that I knew, but needed to be reminded of. I am glad that I realised this, and even more so, that I read those books.

3 Comments:

Blogger navneet said...

sounds like a 'Return Of Wind'

10:07 PM  
Blogger Vivek Sharma said...

Books are my saviors: comforting in loneliness, funny when I need a laugh, full of perspective when I wish to understand about life, myself, you and everyone.

Read on:)

6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

never thought that cute face can write so well....such a profound thought put in such simple words....i totally agree that the right books teach you the absoluely right things.....and that line "people in our life must be appreciated...." i feel u read my mind.....thats almost the motto of my life....what else people want in life to be appreciated and the least each one of us can do is make someone feel good........guess there's nothin more to life

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home